SSH Real Estate

About SSH Real Estate

Unparalleled Service for Commercial Real Estate

SSH Real Estate is a 75-person, full-service commercial real estate company serving the Greater Philadelphia Region.

Since the firm’s founding in 1952, it has evolved into one of the largest privately held commercial real estate companies in the region with services in brokerage, property management and investments. SSH owns a portfolio of over 4 million square feet of office, flex, industrial and multi-family; manages over 6 million square feet of commercial space; and has a robust brokerage team completing a multitude of transactions each year while representing many of the Philadelphia region’s leading companies and institutions.

Supporting all aspects of the business, SSH’s unique mix of in-house resources include legal services, space planning, construction management and financial analysis and provides the firm with unmatched expertise in the Philadelphia region. Our extensive market knowledge, experienced professionals and in-house resources are valuable to clients of all three of SSH’s divisions.

Our Partners & Clients

Interested in knowing more about the company we keep? Take a look at some of the partners and clients we're proud to work with.

View Our Partners & Clients
2020

Michael Montemuro is promoted to Partner.

Continue to work on East Market Project – Leasing and Property Management.

2018

The Investments Division recapitalizes 123 S. Broad Street and the Witherspoon Building in one of the most complex commercial real estate transactions of the year. Quilvest Private Equity invests as a joint-venture partner in the project which includes the re-positioning of 123 S. Broad Street as a modern office building and the conversion of the historic Witherspoon Building into a 186-unit “apartment-hotel” that has been master leased to Sonder.

Megan McGinnis joins SSH as a Managing Director in the Investments Division.

SSH celebrates the Eagles’ Super Bowl LII victory with an epic party at 123 S. Broad Street overlooking the parade. Over 500 of SSH’s employees, family, friends, investors and clients were in attendance. We are ready for several more championships in the future!

2017

Michael Montemuro promoted to oversee the Property Management Division.

SSH’s Investments Division acquires the 240,000 square foot 7-building flex/industrial portfolio at Naaman’s Creek Business Center.

2015

Greg Muller becomes a Partner of SSH Real Estate and joins Peter Soens and Jeffrey Seligsohn as the firm’s leaders.

2014

SSH’s brokerage division represents the law firm, Cozen O’Connor, in its search for new space in Center City Philadelphia. Cozen O’Connor ultimately leased 200,000 square feet and relocated to One Liberty Place in the largest lease transaction of the year in Philadelphia.

2012

Represented Children’s Crisis Treatment Center headquarter’s 43,673 SF relocation to 1080 North Delaware Avenue.

Successfully complete the conversion of the historic office building at 1201 Chestnut Street into the 98-unit Commonwealth apartment building. After completing the redevelopment and lease-up, the property is sold to an affiliate of Invesco.

Sold 1776 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington, D.C.

2011

SSH’s Investments division continues to grow with additional acquisitions. By 2011, the Investments’ portfolio consists of 15 buildings, over 3 million square feet with a value of over $350 million.

The Property Management division now manages over 6 million square feet of commercial space in both Center City Philadelphia and the suburbs.

2009

Continued to expand our in-house services by adding Space Planning and Design Services which joins Legal Services and Construction Management.

Expand the brokerage division by opening a suburban office in Radnor, Pennsylvania.

In partnership with JOSS Realty Partners and Young Capital, acquire the ground lease of the East Market property (formerly known as Girard Square) consisting of the entire square block (4.3 acres) from Market to Chestnut Streets and 12th to 13th Streets, which has subsequently become a multi-phase $500 million mixed-use development that has helped to transform the East Market submarket in Center City Philadelphia.

2008

Acquire the 880,000 square foot historic office complex composed of 123 S. Broad Street and the Witherspoon Building in partnership with Young Capital. These two buildings are located on an entire city block bounded by Walnut and Sansom Streets to the south and north and Broad Street and Juniper Street to the west and east, and they make up one of the largest office buildings in the City of Philadelphia, which has its own zip code. In the fall of 2008 SSH moves to what is now our current office at 123 S. Broad Street, just in time to see the Phillies celebrate their World Series victory parade down Broad Street.

Phillies win the World Series, SSH celebrates in their new office at 123 South Broad, overlooking the parade.

2007

Purchased The Commonwealth, 1201 Chestnut Street.

Sold Robert Morris Building, 100 N. 17th Street.

Sold 1429 Walnut Street.

2006

Represented Health Partners in a 129,000 SF relocation to 901 Market Street.

Purchased The Reporters Building 300 7th Street Washington, D.C.

2005

Purchased 230 South Broad Street.

Purchased 1429 Walnut Street.

Purchased Chestnut Place 42 South 15th Street.

Purchased 1776 Massachusetts Ave, NW Washington, D.C.

2004

SSH Real Estate – As part of expanding its lines of business, the company rebrands itself as SSH Real Estate. The Property Management division is formed initially managing 2 million square feet, and the Investments division acquired its first two office building with the purchase of 1429 Walnut Street and The Robert Morris Building at 17th and Arch Streets. Gregory Muller joins the company as an intern while attending college and assists with various aspects of the new divisions of SSH Real Estate.

2002

Seligsohn Soens Hess Company – Peter Soens acquires Bob Hess’ interest and joins Jeffrey Seligsohn to create Seligsohn Soens Hess Company.

1992

Seligsohn Hess Company – Jeffrey Seligsohn joined Bob Hess, changing the name of the firm to Seligsohn Hess Company. Together they recruited associates and grew the firm to be an eight-person office, focusing on commercial brokerage while maintain office space at 1233 Locust Street

1958

Harold’s son Bob Hess joined the business and led the Harold B. Hess Company as it branched out into office leasing and the sale of investment properties throughout the greater Delaware Valley and New Jersey.

1952

Harold B. Hess Company – Harold B. Hess began leasing storefronts and small manufacturing spaces, mostly on the east side of the city. Hess went on to sell and lease larger one-story buildings, specializing in motor freight terminals, many of which were moving from downtown to areas in Northeast Philadelphia.

1952